Shawmuir Lodge, Pollok
Shawmuir Lodge is a category B listed building, built in 1891 and thought to be the work of Sir Robert Rowand Anderson. It stands at the Eastern vehicular entrance to Pollok Park which is a designed landscape classified as Outstanding on the Historic Scotland Inventory of Gardens and Landscapes. The Lodge has stood empty for some years and is in a sad state of disrepair. The building is owned by Glasgow City Council who are seeking to return it to a sustainable use.
SBPT was been commissioned by Glasgow City Council to undertake an Options Appraisal which we delivered to the council in September 2011. The Appraisal indicated that there are potentially viable options for the re-use of this important building, specifically we see potential to work with the Nation Trust for Scotland on a holiday let. More urgently we have recommended that work is carried out to the roof of the building to halt the water ingress into the structure. There is also some recording of the interior required prior removing the severely decayed fixtures and fittings to improve access.
We are in discussion with Glasgow City Council to resolve the issues surrounding the building's ownership within the common good and how we can work with them to carry out urgent works to the roof and interior. It is hoped that this building's decay can be arrested this year with a view to giving it a new use.